Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Notebooks of a Chile Verde Smmuggler- 1-29

"You keep on telling me that Chicanos are authentic Americans, that this is the first lesson." (18)

Here the author is talking to Victor, who is a Chicano activist. This book focuses on various views, not the typical views on life. There is also a lot of Chicano activism and showing how they are just as much a part of America as say the typical white American person. They fought hard to be there and deserve it just as much and they are the true Americans for their effort and pride.

"I drop my burdens.
As I walk, I drop my burdens.
As I walk, I melt with the snow" (8)

While a lot of the notes in the book are about Chicanos activism and American idealism, the author throws in times where he just realizes, he steps back from the stressful life of American culture and being active in it and "drops all his burdens." He sits and doesn't move and melts as spring comes like the snow melts. HE drops all the problems of living in America and just melts down.

No comments: